Welcome to Introduction to K9 Nose Work®/Odor
Dogs have an amazing sense of smell and a natural desire to hunt. This class focuses on teaching you how to encourage and develop your dog’s natural scenting abilities by using their desire to hunt and their love of food and exercise. It’s a great class for your dog to have fun, build confidence, burn lots of mental and physical energy and to find out just how good is your dog’s nose.
Introduction to Odor: This class will advances the dogs scent discrimination skills and will teach the dog to identify the first target odor.
Introduction to K9 Nose Work® / Odor will be a 6-week course
Class start date: TBD
Class end date: TBD
Class start time: 7-8:30 pm
Location: Dogs Abound, 985 Linda Vista Drive, San Marcos, CA 92078
Instructor: Linda Buchanan, CNWI 760-855-4571
Please read the following information that explains the class rules and requirements:
K9 NOSE WORK CLASS STRUCTURE AND RULES:
Please note that there may be additional recommendations or
requirements specific to each location or facility.
1. The structure of the class dictates that one dog work at a time. Other dogs will remain secured or crated until their turn.
2. When you enter the room with your dog, don’t let him or her wander into the designated search area until further instruction.
3. When entering and exiting the room, or out in the potty area, please keep dogs a safe distance from one another. No meet and greets.
4. Make sure to potty dogs prior to class and possibly before each run. The nature of the work may trigger the desire to eliminate anyway. In that case, be ready to preempt the attempt but if unsuccessful, don’t reprimand your dog…leave it be and we will clean up.
5. Minimize chatting during the dog’s runs.
6. Instruction may vary based on an individual dog’s need.
7. The dogs will work dogs on leash at first but may eventually work off leash.
8. The instructor may rev up or excite your dog. Please hold your ground and do not release the dog until instructed.
9. If a dog solicits social contact during the search, please ignore them.
10. Please leave toys and treats in the crating area when it is not your turn so that the work-space floor is clear of distractions.
11. Be patient with your dog. Don’t get frustrated.
12. Don’t say ‘No’ or ‘Leave it’ and if you need the dog to leave it just encourage the dog to move away. Be careful not to leash correct the dog.
13. Please ask questions but know that some may be tabled due to the class time frame.
14. No videotaping of lecture permitted. Videotaping or photography of your own dog may be allowed and is at the discretion of the instructor and facility. There may be some videotaping done by the instructors if participants at the class have signed a photo/video release.
K9 NOSE WORK® CLASS TOOLS:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BRING
CRATE: (where your dog will rest between runs). Dogs must be crate-trained unless other accommodations are available. Dogs may be crated in vehicles, weather permitting.
Chair: (There may be facility chairs, but you may prefer something more comfortable).
Water: (for you and your dog)
Flat Collar: (buckle or Martingale style) or a well-fitted traditional style harness during the class. No head halters or Easy Walk harnesses during runs, but they may be used to and from the search area as needed.
Leash: A 6-foot light-weight leather or nylon leash (no chain or retractable). All dangling items, rings, charms, poop bag holders must be removed so as not to distract the dog.
Treats: HIGH VALUE treats! Bring a few things in case what you thought was going to work doesn’t. Try not to bring your usual food reward. Don’t bring dry, crunchy/crumbly cookie type treats. Hot dog pieces, string cheese, tripe and treats cut up from food rolls, such as Natural Balance, or Red Barn can be very motivating.
Treat pouch/bait bag: to carry your treats in.
Hungry & Motivated Dog: Please either don’t feed your dog before class or feed a reduced meal, so your dog is hungry and motivated. Please don’t burn your dog out with a long hike or play session before the class.
Please be aware that Dogs Abound is first and foremost, a daycare and boarding facility. There will be “non-participant” dogs on site at all times. These dogs will all be properly contained and visually out-of-range after business hours, but they may make noise and may be distracting to some participants. We may have dogs leaving the building up until close of daycare at 7pm. PLEASE follow the rules outlined below, and manage yourself and your dog appropriately, to ensure the safety of our class participants and business clientele.
- The structure of nose work class dictates that one dog work at a time. All “non-working” dogs will remain secured (in cars) or crated until their turn.
- We will provide a general crating area in the building for dogs that can relax quietly in between turns. You will be expected to provide your own crate.
- Dogs will not be permitted to wait between turns in the general search area on leash.
- When attending class, please keep dogs a safe distance from one another. Dogs may not be social, please do not allow your dog to approach another dog at any time. If a dog solicits social contact during a search, or at any other time, please ignore them.
- Make sure to potty your dogs prior to class. You may use the gravel area that runs the length of the west side (driveway side) of the building. Please keep your dogs out of the planters and succulents. Do not let your dogs lift their legs anywhere other than out in the gravel potty area. Please pick up after your dogs immediately or notify us of any indoor accidents ASAP.
- You may park along the west side of the building (driveway side) or on the north side (street). Please be aware that people can/do drive quite fast along Linda Vista.
- Please do not arrive at the facility more than 15 minutes before your class starts. You may take this time to potty your dog and get organized.
- We strongly prefer you get your crate and other items, bring them in and set up, THEN bring your dog into the building.
- Please do not enter the lobby more than 5 minutes before class begins. There may be daycare dogs that are exiting the facility in the evening hours and they can be energetic and potentially reactive to strange dogs or people.
- Please stay in the lobby until otherwise directed to do so (instructor or Dogs Abound staff invites you into warehouse for set up).
- Please do NOT enter any area, including behind the front desk, kitchen, kennel area, etc without permission from Liz or Linda.
- You may use the restrooms in the warehouse near our general set up area FIVE MINUTES BEFORE CLASS HAS BEGUN AND DURING CLASS.
- PLEASE NOTE: there are MANY dogs on the Dogs Abound property at all times, some of which are not comfortable with strangers. For everyone's safety, please respect these rules.
We are committed to providing all our students with a fun and safe learning environment. When a student cancels without giving enough notice, they prevent another team from participating and learning.
There will be no refunds for no-shows.
If you cancel within 48 hours of the start of the first class of the 6-week session, the following refund policy will apply:
If there is a wait-list and I can fill the spot a refund will be issued minus the processing fee of $10.00.
Cancel and I can’t fill the spot, refund minus $50.00 and processing fees of $10.00
If a student misses class they miss a class
If the Instructor must cancel a class, a makeup class will be added on to the end.
Upon signing up for this class and submitting payment, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the terms stated above.
Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit www.k9slovetosearch.com